Maybe it will have a story, or maybe even make sense. That would be wonderful. This moves this movie from “skip it” to “maybe watch.”
So many people have tore this movie apart, I don't want to follow them. I want to take a different tact.
The Pointlessness of Life
This movie is little more than a nihilist propaganda film that works way to hard to teach you several things:
- Religion is futile.
- Science is futile.
- Belief in anything is futile.
- The Sontarans created man before they shrank.
- Drugs lead to death.
- Sex proves you are not a robot, unless you are a Cylon.
- Androids don't die.
- Goo makes snakes.
- Women can walk, run, jump, fight, lift heavy objects, and repel down great heights immediately after a cicerian.
- Aliens are brutish and dumb, but not the ones you are thinkin of.
- Prequels are rarely ever good.
There are plans to do an Alien remake in the 3D format and to make it a trilogy. I loved the Alien movies they are a brilliant example of good horror. This remake project brings great concerns.
Will James Cameron return to the project? This is an important question. He was so involved with the movies starting with his writing on the first Alien movie.
The gimmick concern. The studios are going nuts over making movies in 3D as a gimmick to lure people into the theaters to watch movies. This creates problems since not all theaters can handle 3D. Thus if the movie is not shot with care it appears distorted and becomes troublesome to watch in non 3D. I also find it offensive that the studios would take such a flagrantly lazy approach to create desire in watching movies in the theater. Generally I find putting out movies that have good writing, storylines, and aren’t just throwaway media will make me want to go watch it in the theater.
One of the things that makes the Alien movies work so well as horror and to still appear fairly current even 30 years latter is that they don’t show too much and they use the real when they can for the effects. Modern movies, especially those for 3D, tend to show too much moving from a terrifying scene toward the grotesque desensitizing the audience.
(via SCI FI Wire)
Words can not express how badly I want a 2.4 meter tall Alien King sculpture! Made from recycled parts and welded together.
I went to Robosteel site where there are more awesome pictures of the Steel Alien sculptures and the worse thing ever happened. They are actually for sale... *drool*
(via Fantasy SF Blog)
To put it into context and to share in my own skin crawling realization on just how big that is I want you to remember the Alien movies. Remember those nasty face-huggers that would crawl around and leap out at it’s unsuspecting victim, wrapping it’s self around their face.
The size of this spider is around the size of the face-huggers from the Alien movies. That is huge
It’s a nocturnal hunter using trap doors to get it’s prey.
With the success of recent films like the Transformers movies and District 9 (and to a lesser extent, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which is the 26th highest grossing film worldwide), it seems like Hollywood is going alien crazy, giving the green light and putting a lot of alien-based stories in development — more than ever before. In a couple years, will aliens be the new vampires? -(via /Film)
Will Aliens be the New Vampires?
No, the rise in interest in alien movies is just part of the Hollywood system. The very same system that will also decide people aren’t interested in Aliens as much as Vampire’s.
Hollywood has a past track record for starting many projects to hedge their bet on what the next big fad will be. Many of these projects get dumped or shelved after the sales numbers come in.
The sales numbers are not so good for alien movies. Transformers and Indiana Jones are franchises in their own right and won’t be thought of by the studios as alien movies.
There are also a lot of superhero movie projects in the works. Could the superhero movie be the next thing? With such a diverse story and setting potential there is a lot more that could be explored in this area on the big screen.
Vampire movies are still bringing in a lot for the studios. Do you think they will continue doing more of them? I hope not, it pains me to say that but with so many bad ones out there I would like for it to be given a rest.
What would you like to see as the next movie phase?
Theater or Renter: November includes eight SF movies 1/2 of them are books adapted into movies: A Christmas Carol, The Fourth Kind, 2012, Planet 51, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Ninja Assassin, The Road. Will we watch? Will we rent? or do we even care? Rules of the Game: Watch the trailers. Rate the Trailer. Then share with us your comments: does the movie, it’s trailer and buzz make you want to watch it in the theater, rent it, or not interested at all, and why?
A Christmas Carol:
Release Date: NOVEMBER 6th
Listed as: Animation, Drama, Family, Fantasy
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
Director: Robert Zemeckis
Produced by: Jack Rapke, Steve Starkey, Robert Zemeckis
Written by: Robert Zemeckis
Stars: Jim Carrey, Gary Oldman, Cary Elwes, Colin Firth, Bob Hoskins, Robin Wright Penn, Molly C. Quinn
The Plot / Story: An animated retelling of the Victorian morality tale A Christmas Carol. Ebenezer Scrooge an old and bitter miser undergoes a profound experience of redemption over the course of one night. (Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
The Fourth Kind:
Release Date: NOVEMBER 6th
Listed as: Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Olatunde Osunsanmi
Produced by: Paul Brooks, Joe Carnahan
Written by: Olatunde Osunsanmi
Stars: Milla Jovovich, Elias Koteas, Will Patton
The Plot / Story: The Fourth Kind is a reenactment of alien abduction events that are claimed to have actually happened. An investigator is dispatched to Nome, Alaska to puzzle out a 40-year-long mystery involving an extraordinary number of unexplained disappearances in the town. Her videotaped evidence looks to present the most convincing evidence of alien abduction ever documented. (Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
Release Date: NOVEMBER 13th
Listed as: Action, Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Studio: Columbia Pictures
Director: Roland Emmerich
Produced by: Roland Emmerich, Mark Gordon, Harald Kloser, Larry J. Franco, Ute Emmerich
Written by: Harald Kloser, Roland Emmerich
Stars: John Cusack, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Amanda Peet, Thandie Newton, Oliver Platt, Danny Glover, Woody Harrelson
The Plot / Story: The film explores the idea of a global doomsday event coinciding with the end of the Mayan Calendar in 2012. In Guatemala reports start coming in of mass suicides in the Mayan jungles of people attempting to avoid the impending apocalypse. A secret organization that realizes the world is ending and is constructing of vast arks beneath the Himalayan mountains to save both the Human race and significant animal species when doomsday finally happens. The disaster strikes all over with super volcano and mega earthquakes from dramatic shifting in the earths crust. A group of survivors, including Jackson Curtis and his family fight their way to China before they can board the great arks and save themselves from the gigantic tidal waves sweeping across the Earth. (Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
Release Date: NOVEMBER 20th
Listed as: Animation, Adventure, Comedy, Family, Fantasy
Studio: TriStar Pictures
Director: Jorge Blanco
Produced by: Ignacio Perez Dolset, Guy Colins
Written by: Joe Stillman
Stars: Dwayne Johnson, Jessica Biel, Justin Long, Seann William Scott, Gary Oldman, John Cleese
The Plot / Story: The film follows a human astronaut, Captain Charles "Chuck" Baker who lands on Planet 51 thinking he's the first to set foot on it. However, he discovers it's inhabited by little green people who live in a white picket-fenced world reminiscent of 1950s America. The inhabitants of planet 51 are struck with alien fear and Captain Baker struggles to survive and get off the planet before they capture him. (Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
The Twilight Saga: New Moon:
Release Date: NOVEMBER 20th
Listed as: Drama, Fantasy, Horror, Romance, Thriller
Studio: Summit Entertainment
Director: Chris Weitz
Produced by: Mark Morgan, Wyck Godfrey
Written by: Melissa Rosenberg (screen play)
Stars: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner
The Plot / Story: Based on the book The Twilight Saga: New Moon. Bella Swan is devastated by the abrupt departure of her vampire love, Edward Cullen, but her spirit is rekindled by her growing friendship with the irresistible Jacob Black. Suddenly she finds herself drawn into the world of the werewolves, ancestral enemies of the vampires, and finds her loyalties tested. (Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
Fantastic Mr. Fox:
Release Date: NOVEMBER 20th
Listed as: Adventure, Animation, Comedy
Studio: Wes Anderson, Scott Rudin, Allison Abbate, Steven Rales
Director: Wes Anderson
Produced by: Wes Anderson, Scott Rudin, Allison Abbate, Steven Rales
Written by: Wes Anderson, Noah Baumbach
Stars: George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Jarvis Cocker, Owen Wilson, Willem Dafoe, Helen McCrory
The Plot / Story: Animated kids film based on Roald Dahl's book Fantastic Mr. Fox. Mr. Fantastic lives next to the three meanest farmers who push too far. Now it is time to strike back at them. (Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
Release Date: NOVEMBER 25th
Listed as: Action, Crime, Drama, Thriller
Studio: Legendary Pictures, Dark Castle Entertainment, Silver Pictures
Director: James McTeigue
Produced by: Joel Silver, Andy Wachowski, Larry Wachowski, Grant Hill
Written by: Story: Matthew Sand Screenplay: Matthew Sand, J. Michael Straczynski
Stars: Rain, Naomie Harris
The Plot / Story: Raizo, kidnapped as a child and raised by the Ozunu Clan, is one of the world’s deadliest assassins. When Raizo’s friend is executed by the clan, he flees into hiding. Meanwhile, Mika Coretti, a Europol agent, retrieves secret agency files on The Clan. Finding out about the investigation, The Clan attempts to assassinate her, but she is rescued by Raizo. Reemerging, seeking revenge he must find a way to take down the Ozunu Clan. (Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
Release Date: NOVEMBER 25th
Listed as: Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Studio: 2929 Productions
Director: John Hillcoat
Produced by: Nick Wechsler, Steve Schwartz, Paula Mae Schwartz
Written by: Joe Penhall
Stars: Viggo Mortensen, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Robert Duvall, Guy Pearce, Charlize Theron
The Plot / Story: Based on the book The Road. A father and his young son struggle to survive after an unspecified apocalypse and make their way toward the coast for possible food, shelter, safety, or to potentially find other survivors of the cataclysmic events. Along the way, they encounter grave struggles and hardships across the barren landscapes, with scarce shelter and resources available to them, and having to avoid bands of cannibals and other desperate gangs looking to pillage valuables and food. (Wikipedia) (The Official Site)
The ban on District 9 in Nigeria is sad. They are upset claiming that:
...the film clearly denigrated Nigeria’s image by portraying us as if we are cannibals, we are criminals…The name our former president was clearly spelt out as the head of the criminal gang and our ladies shown like prostitutes sleeping with extra-terrestrial beings… -Information Minister Dora Akunyili (via /Film)
Sweating the Small Stuff
I love the phrase don't sweat the small stuff. To get stuck on the gang being Nigerian is to miss the commentary on the problems of apartheid and the problems that ghettos bring. The focus was not on the Nigerian gang it was on the social commentary. The use of a Nigerian Gang could have been replaced by any other if the setting of District 9 was in another part of the world. Watch the movie, ponder the deeper messages and don't sweat the small stuff.
The message behind it is what is important.
- The dehumanizing of another to allow for murder
- Be careful of religious practices that promote cannibalism for many reasons mainly it's just not healthy and it causes brain disease.
- Prostitution problems
- The deteriorating effect drug trafficking has on a populace by masking it in trafficking cat food.
The choice of having a crime syndicate be Nigerian makes sense within the context of the setting. All storytelling is lies and to make good fiction the storyteller must limit the number of lies in the story. We all know that there are not aliens living in a shanty town in South Africa. The true art is in limiting the false parts of the tale so as not to distract the audience from the message in the story.
If the writers made the crime syndicate American, Russian, Japanese or Colombian then the story would have suffered and the messages behind the story would be more obfuscated. The audience would have wondered why they were in South Africa and how they dealt with the South African crime syndicates without starting an all out turf war.
Crime Syndicate Not Representative An Entire People
A crime syndicate is not representative of an entire people. District 9 did not have a group of Nigerian people in the district they made it a Nigerian Crime Syndicate. There is a difference. To say that the movie is attacking the entire people is short sighted.
I would like to think that an audience as a whole would watch the movie and think wow that crime syndicate was bad and not thinking that represented all people of Nigeria. In a way, they have insulted the audience's intelligence thinking that the audience will mistake a counter culture for the Nigerian culture at large.
District 9 gave the audience a chance to look at the ugly underside of apartheid and demonstrating the problems that ghettos bring. The crime syndicate is Nigerian to make sense within the setting but the portrayal was to highlight the problems of crime and apartheid not to disparage a group of people. Mainly don't sweat the small stuff and have faith that the audience is smart enough to know that a counter culture group is not representative of a culture at large.
ABC is tweaking the pilot for V making it slightly different for the lucky viewers who got to see it at SDCC. The main changes is fight scene between the visitors and the resistance. They want to make the visitors more formidable.
Sounds good to me.. I would be disappointing if we get to the fight scene and the technologically advanced and tough fighting visitors weren't.
(via SCI FI Wire)
Ever wanted your own alien in a jar, now you can make one with this weekend's craft. This one looks awesome, I want it for my desk. It will cost more then some of the other projects to buy some of the supplies and require some minor electrical work to get the jar glowing.
What you need:
- A jar with a lid that is thick enough to conceal a battery pack and some LEDs (local supermarket)
- Glow water made from florescent dye extracted from a highlighter pen (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/464980/glow_water_how_to_make_your_own/)
- Alien Embryo Growing Pet (http://www.thespacestore.com/alemgrpet.html)
- 4.5V Battery pack (http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-45-volt-battery-pack-from-a-9V-battery/)
- Protostack half size prototyping board (http://www.protostack.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=3)
- 2.7 ohm resistor (1W)
- 6 x High Power Ultra Violet LEDs (http://www.protostack.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_30&products_id=36)
There are 8 steps to this project which can be read here on instructables. Some additional recommendations from the discussion that follows are:
- Re circuit board: don't have to have it but it helps hold everything together.
- should add some kind of biocide to the water like salt or ammonia.
If you had a glowing Alien in a Jar how would you use it? I like the recommendation to swap out the batteries for a solar pannel and turning it into a solar powered porch light!
OMG I love Christmas, and Amazon made it even easier to give this year. They have put out some excellent must own SF box sets at prices that are practically a give away. The only catch is that the deals are limited time only so if you are thinking on doing this don’t procrastinate!
- Stargate SG-1 - The Complete Series Collection $99.99: This show rules! I have the first three seasons but had to get this one when I saw the deal imagine paying less than $2 per DVD full of Stargate goodness!. Stargate SG-1 Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7, Season 8, Season 9, Season 10, Disc 51 includes: Ark of Truth Promo, Continuum Promo, "Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown (SG-1 Season 7)", From Stargate to Atlantis: The Lowdown (SG-1 Season 8 & Atlantis Season 1), Behind the Stargate: Secrets Revealed (SG-1 Season 8 & Atlantis Season 1), Disc 52 includes: "Sci Fi Inside: Stargate SG-1's 200th Episode (SG-1 Season 10)", "Behind the Mythology of Stargate SG-1 (SG-1 Seasons 1-10)", Stargate SG-1: True Science, Disc 53 includes: **Season Three, Timeline to the Future, Part 1: Legacy of the Gate, Part II: Secrets of the Gate, Part III: Beyond the Gate, **Season Four, SG-1 Video Diary: Teryl Rothery, "Stargate SG-1 Season 5: Gateway to Adventure ", Stargate SG-1: The 100th Episode, **Season Five: SG-1 Video Diary: Don S. Davis, **Season Six: SG-1 Directors Series: Smoke and Mirrors", SG-1 Directors Series: The Changeling, SG-1 Directors Series: Memento, SG-1 Directors Series: Prophecy, SG-1 Video Diary: Richard Dean Anderson Paradise Lost", Disc 54: **Season Seven: SG-1 Directors Series: Revisions, SG-1 Directors Series: Heroes, SG-1 Directors Series: Resurrection, "Behind the Scenes: Journey Inside Lost City", The Storyboard Process, "Bra'tac vs. Ronan: Designing the Fight", Stargate Magic: Inside the Lab, Richard Dean Anderson: "My Life as a Mime", **Season Eight: Beyond the Gate: A Convention Experience with Amanda Tapping" "Beyond the Gate: A Convention Experience with Michael Shanks" SG-1 Directors Series: Threads, Profile On: Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, The Last Day of Teal'C, SG-1 Directors Series: Moebius, “Stargate SG-1 Alliance: The Making of The Video Game"
- Battlestar Galactica Franchise Collection: $99.99 (Season One | Season 2.0 | Season 2.5 | Season 3.0 | BSG Razor)
- The Ultimate Matrix Collection: $24.49 (The Matrix/ The Matrix Reloaded/ The Matrix Revolutions/ The Animatrix)
- The Mel Brooks Collection: $38.99 (Blazing Saddles / Young Frankenstein / Silent Movie / Robin Hood: Men in Tights / To Be or Not to Be / History of the World, Part 1 / The Twelve Chairs / High Anxiety)
- Planet of the Apes - The Legacy Collection: $26.99 (Planet of the Apes  / Beneath the / Escape from the / Conquest of the / Battle for the)
- The Nightmare on Elm Street Collection: $22.99 8 Disc Collection
- Alien Quadrilogy: $32.99 (Alien/ Aliens /Alien 3 /Alien Resurrection)
- Jim Henson's Fantasy Film Collection: $20.49 (Labyrinth / MirrorMask / The Dark Crystal)
- Godzilla DVD Collection 7-Pack: $64.99 (Godzilla (1998) / Godzilla 2000 / vs. King Ghidora / and Mothra The Battle for Earth / vs. Destoroyah / vs. Space Godzilla / vs. Mechagodzilla / Giant Monsters All Out Attack / vs. Megaguirus)
- Vampire Fans
- Superhero Fans
- X-Men Trilogy: $18.99 (X-Men/ X2 - X-Men United/ X-Men - The Last Stand)
- Marvel Heroes Collection: $37.99 (Daredevil, Elektra, X-Men, X2, X-Men 3: The Last Stand, Fantastic Four & Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer) LOL, they forgot Spiderman on this one!
- Spider-Man - The Motion Picture DVD Trilogy: $20.99 (Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3)
Hmm, I know I should not get worked up about this, but you know me. In the Article: Our Lives, Controlled From Some Guy’s Couch - New York Times John Tierney talks to Dr Nick Bostrom from Oxford University about his theory that we are nothing more than a simulation running on someone's computer and notes that there is a better than 20% chance that we are, in fact, created by some futuristic computer geek for the entertainment or curiosity... That is not what got me worked up. It is just the idea that we are computer simulations has a greater than 20% probability of being true, but if I said I believed in a Higher Power creating the universe, that would be laughed at...
I understand that Atheism is en vogue right now, but to say with a straight face that we are living in an elaborate computer game created by a techno-geek... how is that any more rational?
This reminds me of those people that say they do not believe in angels but instead in aliens, and mock believers in angels. Both beliefs are unprovable through argumentation, so don't even try.
This is Lama News Network's Eric Dorsett, and that is how I see it. :P
C.E. Dorsett I probably shouldn't blog about this, but I have never experienced anything like this before... Now, pay attention to my words. I am choosing them very carefully...
Just a couple of minutes ago, I saw a UFO in the still blue twilight sky. I am not saying I saw an alien, but what I saw could not have been a plane. I saw a short vapor trail and I assumed it was a plane. Then it flashed brightly and turned 90° from its original course. Within a minute, it and the vapor trail had vanished.
I don't know what kind of plane could do that. Maybe it was a meteor... I just had to share.