I really enjoyed this movie, even though it was not guffaw funny I consistently laughed throughout. It is a very story driven movie with a wonderful job done on story but the characters depth pays for that.
Newly engaged Ben Murphy (John Krasinski) and Sadie Jones (Mandy Moore) can't wait to start their life together and live happily ever after. The problem is that Sadie's family church St. Augustine's is run by Reverend Frank (Robin Williams) who won't bless Ben and Sadie's union until they pass his patented "foolproof" marriage-prep course.
- Wonderful exploration of relationship
- avoided using an estranged ex to try and stop the wedding
- Laughed a lot throughout movie: no sagging in middle or moments of depressing, blame one side for everything going wrong.
- Those creepy Chucky like baby dolls: only missing the freckles, I kept waiting for them to sit up and look right at Ben asking "Would you like to play with us."
- The dog "Nicodemus"with the priest outfit: black vestment and white collar.
- Plot driven story: The story has a great pace and is engaging from the beginning without sagging at any point.
Dislikes / Concerns
- Some confusion over religious inconsistency: they used a catholic or Episcopalian or Anglican type church & vestments but they kept calling the priest "reverend" and although more correct they had him making some statements that would be against the current popes & Rome's position.
- The characters were flat: not quite 2D but they lacked any real depth nor really evoked audience involvement. With that said see the last like.
Get you copy from: