Ever wanted your own alien in a jar, now you can make one with this weekend's craft. This one looks awesome, I want it for my desk. It will cost more then some of the other projects to buy some of the supplies and require some minor electrical work to get the jar glowing.
What you need:
- A jar with a lid that is thick enough to conceal a battery pack and some LEDs (local supermarket)
- Glow water made from florescent dye extracted from a highlighter pen (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/464980/glow_water_how_to_make_your_own/)
- Alien Embryo Growing Pet (http://www.thespacestore.com/alemgrpet.html)
- 4.5V Battery pack (http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-45-volt-battery-pack-from-a-9V-battery/)
- Protostack half size prototyping board (http://www.protostack.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=3)
- 2.7 ohm resistor (1W)
- 6 x High Power Ultra Violet LEDs (http://www.protostack.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_30&products_id=36)
There are 8 steps to this project which can be read here on instructables. Some additional recommendations from the discussion that follows are:
- Re circuit board: don't have to have it but it helps hold everything together.
- should add some kind of biocide to the water like salt or ammonia.
If you had a glowing Alien in a Jar how would you use it? I like the recommendation to swap out the batteries for a solar pannel and turning it into a solar powered porch light!