Overall Rating: 1 (that is out of 10)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine is an atrocious X-men film and a horrible movie. If you are an X-Men fan please do not watch this movie it may bring out your inner Hulk. For those of you looking for at least a good action movie you too will be disappointed. It even failed to deliver an exciting action movie opening with 10 minutes of awkward action coupled with another 20 min of action which sags terribly in the middle only to pick up when gambit arrives and then deliver an ending that is less exciting then watching a drunken bar brawl. Please, I implore you do not torture yourself by watching X-men Origins Wolverine go buy X-Men, Volume 1 or Wolverine: Weapon X and enjoy good X-men.
As a fan of X-men I will not list all of the inaccuracies here to keep from making this a multi-page review. Suffice it to say this movie failed to have have anything to do with the X-Men story or setting. It even conflicted with the previous X-Men movies. As a movie it was so terrible I will just discuss those failings.
This movie was nothing more then a series of poorly Knitted together scenes that were ripped off from other movies. To list some: Tomb Raider, There’s Something About Mary, Star Wars VI, Heroes, and the final fight scene with the boss was ripped poorly from Star Wars I. Dead Pool makes the same Darth Maul appearance then they copied the fight scene. Darth Maul fighting Qui-Gon Jinn only Qui-Gon and Maul can regenerate their stab wounds which gives enough time for Obi-Wan Kenobi to join the fight where they still cut Maul in 1/2 and he falls down into a hole.
Another glaring issue of this movie is that it somehow showed too much with out showing enough. Imagine a naked Hugh Jackman with full frontal that is Ken dolled… really, why not position the camera to avoid the full frontal or give Mr Jackman the balls to pull off the scene. How about up close shots of the claws ripping out of Wolverine’s skin and no blood, not even stained skin. The list goes on.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine failed as an X-Men movie. It even failed as a movie. I strongly urge you to enjoy good X-Men and either watch X-Men, Volume 1 or read Wolverine: Weapon X .
- Gambit was ok, not great but ok
- Jen looked neat
- Dead Pool was good in a short scene toward the beginning of the movie. (unfortunately the rest he sucked in)
Dislikes / Concerns
- Failed to have anything to do with the X-Men story or setting
- Failed to deliver exciting action
- Failed to even be consistent within the previous X-Men movies
- The majority of the scenes were poorly stolen from other movies
- The effects sucked: they were poorly composited, looked fake, and had proportion issues
- The pace sucked and was exacerbated by the poor transitions between the drama movie slapped into the middle of the action movie.
- The setting had many issues that shattered the illusion: the scene of the secret base in Canada, even the tree types were in conflict.
- The acting was atrocious especially the issues of accents: Gambit could not keep a consistent accent and did not sound very Cajun at best. I also need clarifying: The Canadian lumberjacks had a deep south redneck accent I don’t believe this is right. If your Canadian would you help clarify this for me in the comments?
- The Visuals showed too much and too little at the same time.
- Ken Dolled Hugh Jackman
- The majority of the characters were flat, inaccurate, or superfluous
- Failed to have a consistent or believable tension between Sabertooth and Wolverine.
Netflix lets you rent, watch and return DVDs from home - Try free for 2 weeks
Don't wait. Guarantee your seat before you go and avoid a sold out show. Skip the box office lines and buy movie tickets at Fandango.com.