Review of: The Crow
Overall Rating: 10
The Crows fast-paced action and visual styles were stunning and only out done by the soundtrack which aided the mood brilliantly without detracting from the movie. It is an amazing film and example of the gothic aesthetic, I recommend it as an owner. It has even gained the stature of tradition in my own house, every Halloween we watch It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown every October 30th devils night we watch The Crow!
The Crow is a tale about a couple who is murdered on October 30th devils night. One year latter The Crow brings Eric Draven back from the grave to seek vengeance on the gang that murdered them. Based on the comics series By J. O’Barr. It addresses issues like coping with the death of a loved one which J. O’Barr was personally wrestling with when he wrote the original comic series after he lost his girlfriend at the hands of a drunk driver. The crow was also the last movie for Brandon Lee who with eight days left in filming was shot, during recording, with a long range blank which was loaded accidently for a short range scene. The studio did the honorable thing by burning the reel of film. They then used cutting edge CG technology to edit the movie putting Brandon Lee into the remaining scenes he had yet to film allowing Brandon to end his career at it’s highest note.
The soundtrack for the Crow features songs from great bands like The Cure, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, Violent Femmes, and The Hennery Rollins Band. The Cure, & Joy Devision were actually inspirational bands that James O’Barr listened to while writing the original comic series. He was deeply touched that they were able to put “Dead Souls” into the movie.
The Crow is also well known for some of it’s most brilliant and poignant lines. My top favorite lines are
My top favorite lines are
- Victims; aren’t we all… –Eric Draven
- Is that gasoline I smell? –Eric Draven
- "Suddenly, I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door." –Eric What the fuck are you talking about? –Gideon You heard me rapping, right? –Eric
- Take your shot, Fun Boy, you got me, dead bang. –Eric Draven
- If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn. People die. But real love is forever. –Sarah
- Jesus Christ! Stop me if you've heard this one. Jesus Christ walks into a hotel… –Eric [Funboy shoots him] Ow. He hands the innkeeper three nails and he asks… –Eric [Funboy shoots him again] Don’t you ever fucking die? –Funboy “Can you put me up for the night?” –Eric
- I thought the police always said "Freeze." –Eric Well I am the police and I say "don't move" Snow White; you move, you're dead. -Albrecht And I say I'm dead; and I move... –Eric
- Abashed the Devil stood; and felt how awful Goodness is. –T-Bird
- Oh great! Great! Guy shows up looking like a mime from hell and you lose him, right out in the open. Well, at least he didn't do that 'walking against the wind' shit. I hate that. –Albrecht
- What the Crap! -Cop
Netflix lets you rent, watch and return DVDs from home - Try free for 2 weeks
Don't wait. Guarantee your seat before you go and avoid a sold out show. Skip the box office lines and buy movie tickets at Fandango.com.